1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your life as a movie

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by girldetective, Mar 5, 2013.

1. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

Sometimes my life feels like a movie as a whole, current or past, color, or b&w. I think what I mean by that is sometimes the director/producer/cast has caught things just right that their movie emulate my plot, my voice, my relationship, and even maybe my body that I can just feel it, sometimes uncomfortably so. Other times, I might relate to just a particular character or the work they do, a setting, or a conversation.

Choke; Silver Linings Playbook; This is 40.
    These 3 movies represent the last 5 years of my life. Its pretty much fab, even in all its awfulness.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I do this all the time.
    Relating events and emotions...using analogies to movies.

But I think I'm living under an ancient curse,
    "May you live in Interesting times..."

Because while it may be "interesting" for the reader or watcher...it's hell to actually live through.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Real Genius
    Good Will Hunting
    Forest Gump
    and so on...

The stories are magnificent, wondrous, tragic and painful...
    And most people I tell them to say they haven't done the same. (and I wonder if they haven't or are they lying or in denial)

Then again, when I went up to Calgary...those guys blew me away, having lived "Ice Road Truckers".
    But it's not a competition...it's living life.

Like Forest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're going to get"

3. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Forest Gump is quite unique, what a great line rogue49.

I get all dreamy sometimes and can certainly relate my life to different movies.

"Taken" is one that is dreamy, having a father that stops at nothing to get his daughter back. Wouldn't it be great to really have someone out there that would do that for you.

"Something's gotta give" is so romantic and is touching how an older couple comes together. So you can find love after...

"The family man" with Nicholas Cage has place in my heart also. Great twist to the movie.

4. rogue49

Well, while I get your point...noting some movies that connect to you, like "Parenthood" would be what I imagine it would be if I was a parent,
    but I believe her primary premise is that much of certain movies are quite like your actual life at times.
    Otherwise, I can say I feel like David Lynch's "Dune" ...and I don't think I say I lived life that way as any of the characters, much less the Kwisatz Haderach (The sleeper must awaken...)

For example, the reason I picked "Forrest Gump" is because I've found myself in momentous times and environs at periodic intervals in my life.
    Experienced that most can't say they did or have been to...but like Forrest Gump, it just happened, I just lived it...and I went on.

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is because while I'm often lonely and frustrated like Cameron, Ferris' BF...at others, I'm on top of the world...and everything is clicking, ultra cool and smooth, like Ferris.

And it doesn't have to be the whole movie, just portions.
    But I get what she's saying...what actually relates to what's happened to you in real life.

Funny thing is, I used to drive my wife crazy with these analogies...she'd yell, "Life is not like a movie!"
    But...movies are drawn from humans...so maybe in ways, it is.

Not something you aren't yet...but something you've actually experienced in some way.

Crash, within the seemingly disconnected chaos of life, somehow people's lives are connected and affect each other. Chaos Theory in action...I've experienced that.
    And while not literally being looped in time, Groundhog's Day connects because you are caught in a figurative loop, Same Shit Different Day...but in the end, you've grown and become more somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm scared to watch Silver Linings Playbook for fear that it may hit too close to home for me.

Right now I often feel like my life is like a sitcom focused on a group of friends, complete with wacky neighbor. It's a good sitcom, though. Makes me laugh.

6. rogue49

I understand...I watched it and I felt I've experienced the first portion easily, without being "officially" mentally ill.
    You can "go crazy" and lose everything without quite going there formally...and strangely so, it can happen multiple times in life of different levels.

Go watch it, you'll like it...it gives you hope. It's a good "American Style" movie, not with a dark or ambiguous conclusion.

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Well, that's just it. I do have a diagnosed mental illness. I have gone crazy. I have recovered from it. Watching something like that movie may just hurt too much for me.

8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Can I have Orson Welles do the narration for my movie?

9. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Two quotes I thought of immediately:

1. "My life has a superb cast, but I can't figure out the plot."
    2. "So much of what I see reminds me of something I've read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

I can't really think of a specific movie right now, but I have constant inner dialogue going, like I'm narrating a film or a book. I wish it was something like Whip It or The Thing Called Love, but I'm not that interesting :)

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Cliche as hell, but I think everybody has had days (er, years) like this:

Jump to 25:47.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

My life is like Fight Club if it were written and directed by a computer algorithm designed to emulate the combined talents of Woody Allen and Wes Anderson.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

All I hear is "Punch me in the face."

13. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

That would be any given "Saturday Night". Those Canadian literary meetups can get pretty rough; especially when they debate whether the Twilght series or the latest My Little Pony book is better.

14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It would go something like this?

"Punch me in the face."

"Pardon me?"

"I want you to punch me in the face...as hard as you can."

"I don't think my therapist would approve. She says I have deep-seated anger issues that I need to resolve in a safe environment."

"Fuck your therapist! If you aren't already...."

"All right. You just want me to punch you? Like in the face? Really?"

"Yeah."

"Well, okay.... But don't take it personal. Will this hurt?"

• Like Like x 4
  15. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

Hey Snowy! Maybe SLP isnt scary at all. I think its humane and compassionate, and all round wunnerful.
    The movie is about real love and acceptance. And its about the greatness of emotions and hard work, and the satisfaction of those. It is about winning.
    It is uncannily the story of my strenuous, humorous life with the lunatic, and his mine. I feel very lucky to have him.

16. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Mine would be Fight Club 2: Project Mayhem, but with Will Ferrell as Tyler Durden

• Like Like x 1
  18. rogue49

Right now, I'm living "The Money Pit" subtract the wife (or fiancé in the movie)

I can't write the checks fast enough.

I think I may start maniacally laughing like Tom Hanks after the bathtub falls through the floor... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

Love the Hard Way.

That's the only movie that's ever caused me to be shell-shocked at life similarities. And, man, does it have some amazing lines and perfect camera work.

"What kind of movies do you prefer, the ones with the sad endings or the happy ones?"
    "The sad ones definitely. I like movies that make me cry."
    "Then you're with the right guy."

20. random New Member

BLOW
    because everybody has to live some kind of a life, and this just happens to mirror mine...