1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your local radio station...

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Oct 16, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Most of them are online streaming now. Post your radio station so that we can get a flavor of what you listen to. Put up a link to the stream. Mine are on the images.

I used to listen to KROQ 106.7 the Roq of the 80's you can listen to it. It's amazing, really. It's like I'm a teen again. Shit they just played Josie Cotton's Johnny Are You Queer?

[​IMG]

Since we're talking about local radio stations I'm posting something that I miss from when I lived in Hicksville Long Island, WBAB 102.3 in Babylon. They play good old rock'n'roll which is sorely missing in the NYC market.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

The only radio station I really listen to these days is the CBC. Their online streaming can be a nice break if I'm not in the mood for Slacker. You can listen here:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/#

The radio station of my youth was 102.1 The Edge, also variously known as CFNY or The Spirit of Radio. I don't listen to them these days unless I've booked a Zipcar and didn't bring any music with me, but they're still out there:

http://corusmedia.media.streamthewo....edge.ca&platform=EMMISFM&active=true

• Like Like x 1
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The only radio I listen to here is BBC Worldwide... but that is very rarely. Local radio in Singapore really sucks (really!).

I listen to CBC Radio 3 on the web.

4. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I listen to an alternative station... the other DJs on other stations really annoy the hell out of me.

www.x929.ca

5. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Sadly, there are NO local radio stations that I like. One used to air the Bob and Tom show, but have since replaced it with these two assholes that remind me of "Weenie and the Butt" from Family Guy.

I've had Sirius Alt Nation as #1 on my preset list for about 4-5 years now, but I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted by it. They seem to be straying from alternative, and focusing more on the "total shit" genre. Sorry guys, I don't want to hear the same fucking Kings of Leon song 85 times a day. If Alt Nation is representative of the "alternative" genre these days, then a) the genre has been pussified beyond all comprehension, and b) I must be getting old and just not "understanding" today's youth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

They used to play a better mix of rock, but this is my favorite local radio station: KLOO-FM

My husband and I have a hard time agreeing on what to listen to, so Oregon Public Radio is usually what we end up listening to: OPB Radio

7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, I haven't listened to FM for years. Sirius/XM is awesome. If you want music, there are probably 3-4 stations that match your preference. If you have diverse listenting tastes there might be 20. If you like sports, the possibilities are endless. And the talk radio is infinitely superior to FM. :)

8. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i love talk radio, and i listen to all flavors even though i dont agree with them all. there's something about talk radio that just hits home with me. its like i'm having a personal conversation with the host in my head. i feel like my brain is somehow more engaged than listening to typical music stations.

9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

At one time, CFNY was at the cutting edge of radio. They were programming music that wasn't getting played anywhere else. They were creating shows like the Ongoing History of New Music. Like most things, CFNY's heyday didn't last forever. They were bought by new owners who "tinkered" with the channel until it became just another soulless radio station.

I am convinced that outside of web, campus/community and satellite radio (and I hear that even satellite radio is slipping these days) there isn't anything interesting being done on radio. It's sad really. I think radio is one of the most under appreciated media.

10. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

People still listen to traditional radio? For some reason I find that absolutely shocking. I haven't turned a radio on in literally longer than 5 years, except if I'm trying to find some traffic reports or something.

The last radio station I listened to was KBPI in Denver. I have NO idea what they play anymore.

http://www.kbpi.com/main.html

11. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I listen to Sirius XM for the most part, but when I do listen to local it's either:

http://wxrt.radio.com/

Or

http://www.wbez.org/

XRT is now corporate-owned, but they managed to keep the independent feel that drew me in 15 years ago. Having grown up in a part of the country where you couldn't hear anything but classic rock on the air, XRT was a breath of fresh air. And WBEZ is our NPR affiliate and produces several of the national programs ("Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" and "This American Life" for instance).

12. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Sirius is a great thing when you live in West Bumfuck like we do.
    We have NPR and not much else on the dial.
    I do remember listening to BAB and WNEW growing up in the NY suburbs.
    I also remember a station WAPP, the Apple. They were new and started out with an entire summer commercial free. Very cool at the time.

13. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i don't like sirius. it's too passive, like driving inside an elevator.

because i see rock-n-roll as a bloated rotting corpse, the only interesting radio in boston comes from college stations.

this, however, is still relatively free:
    http://wfmu.org/

and this is a great station for the jazz music:

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/

like on thelonious monk's birthday

14. bobby

bobby More Than Slightly Tilted ! Donor

KING-FM 98.1 in Seattle and KING.ORG on the net...best classical station in the world !

xoxoxoo

15. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Just checked the website for the local Pop drek music station and it is "under construction". They do have a facebook page though that I have never looked at.
    I just play the terrestrial stations because I never have had XM radio installed in the car and do not feel like paying additional money for a car receiver to work.

My favourite time to listen to NPR is when they air the jazz on Friday? I think it is. I bought an entire Ella Fitzgerald album on iTunes because they played her delightful recording of Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered a few weeks ago.

The lite rock station tends to play more of what I like when I am driving and not in the mood for news and talk.

16. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

In Sydney I usually put on The Edge (96.1 FM), except when the daily FBi (94.5 FM) 6-8pm shows were on... I LOVED FBi's InTheMix on Fridays.

In Germany I listen to 1-Live, when available (depends on which state you're in). Otherwise I search the radio stations for an acceptable song. If none available, there's always the WDR2 station, which plays classical music. Sometimes I listen to the British BFBS radio station (especially when I'm in the Cologne/Bonn area).

In Dubai I listen to Radio One (104.1 FM, I think), especially at night.

In Kabul I listen to CDs, because the radio stations annoy the crap out of me.

17. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

The Edge has gone way downhill over the last few years. The morning show is one of the most annoying things on the air.

The best part about The Edge is the Ongoing History of New Music (Sunday at 7).

http://www.edge.ca/StationShared/OHNM.aspx

18. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I've never liked Dean Blundell. He's a bit of a tool.

But yes, Ongoing History is pretty rad. I used to listen every Sunday -- that might just be a habit I'll have to pick up again. It's too bad it's not available as a podcast somewhere, but I don't think that's Alan's decision.

19. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My local options in the house - as in not in the car which picks up everything - are country or country and that comes in poorly. And then the reception is terrible on top of that - oh wait. :D
    I tend to play XM radio (classical, 90's/80's/Old Time Radio, comedy, 40's, are my main interests on there but I am flexible) or play iTunes like right now where I am listening to Vivaldi's Four Season performed on a 1727 Stradivarius violin by Janine Jensen.

20. I still listen to the radio stations from Ohio online.

I listen to 700 WLW on Sundays to catch the Bengals game. WYSO keeps me connected to my "hometown" and the Miami Valley.

Out here in Oregon, I find myself listening to OSU's student station, KBVR