1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your parenting sucks!

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by CaptainBob, Jan 23, 2012.

1. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

I was reading Fark at work and came across this article:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...add-up-or-spell-survey-finds-115875-23712794/

After explaining how the children couldn't add or spell or whatever, the article states:
    So, if you think that if your kid is dumb, shouldn't you make an effort to help them?

If you want your kids to be successful and get out of the house and get a job and be able to afford to put you in a nice home when you get old, you need to find the time to help them with their homework!

2. Many start school and have to be taught how to use a knife and fork - teachers start them off on spoons. Social skills too need to be encouraged by parents, teaching them how to look objectively and consider options when making decisions. Not that I can talk. Mine is 30 and is still not totaly domesticated. Guess I taught him my poor organisational skills.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I could read at a 2-3rd grade level before kindergarten. Though I think I'm reasonably smart, it wasn't because I was a genius. It was because my mom was a stay at home mom and worked hard to teach me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. My dad taught me. Oh how sick he was of 'The Billy Goats Gruff' - I would pick out words and read along with him - but he always did the clippety clop bit over the bridge. Quality time isnt it.

5. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I was a working mom but always found the time at night to read to and with my kids. My daughter seemed more the beneficiary of that ritual than my son. When it was brought to my attention that he was lagging behind in reading towards the end of 1st grade, I bought one of those very expensive "teach your child to read" kits and brought him up to speed in no time. Well worth the time and money investment.

6. evaderum

evaderum Getting Tilted

I'm reminded of a clip from Niel deGrasse Tyson about how children are not the problem

"You say you're worried about kids.. I'm not worried about kids, I'm worried about grown ups. These are the ones that vote. These are the ones who tell you the world is coming to an end in 2012. Kids don't say that, grown ups do. I'm worried about grown ups who say 'read my horoscope, tell me whether I'll find money tomorrow.' Grown ups say this, not children. Children do not read horoscopes, children are perfectly happy counting through the number 13. Children are not afraid to walk under ladders. They see a black cat cross their path, they say 'oh kitty kitty,' they want to pet it, not run in the other direction. Children are not the problem here. Plus, kids are born curious, they're always exploring. We spend the first year of their lives teaching them how to walk and talk, and the rest of their lives tell them to shut up and sit down."

and to quote Jacque Fresco from 3:18 to 3:54 in the video "are we educated yet"
    "...You give children cinderella, artificiality, and you tell them to be honest, you always tell children to be honest. And they say 'where do babies come from' - 'the stork brings the baby' - that's a lie. Then you, as the kids say 'daddy, does santa claus climb down every chimney, you say 'yes' - that's a lie. And so we lie to kids and then we tell them to be honest, you know, we lie about everything, almost everything. That's the kind of world we live in, it's so full of shit."

There's another quote from Jacque about parenting, but I can't remember what it is, or which video it's from.

7. Sometimes in daily life one comes across feral little sods making life horrible for others. I often think - their parents should be forced to live with them. Board up the windows and let them live with the problems they have created.
    On the reading bit - my sons are dyslexic, so trying was torture - but try I did - the kits and posters, sitting down with books - and all the while I knew it was a horrible chore for them to try, and the more of a horrible chore it was doing it, the less they would love to read. I wasnt being a good parent I thought, because I kept on trying in the ways my dad taught me, but I must be getting it wrong. Parenting sometimes leaves one feeling like you are beating yourself up. Youngest has just finished Snuff, which he raced through with glee - a xmas pressie. Got there in the end. Both are bright articulate people.

8. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I agree. Most parents make excuses for why they don't spend more time on their children's education. Then they expect an education system, that's been long broken, to provide all of their children's education. Doesn't work that way. You lose most of their potential before they are old enough for school.

I prioritized hours of reading for my daughter as she grew up, and she was reading, on her own by the time she was four. I also made sure that she was exposed to daily life situations, by taking her along with me on normal, everyday boring life tasks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

How many hours are the 'rents wasting on useless texting, internet crap and mindless entertainment?
    Seems to me you can always find 10 or 15 minutes to read to your kid each day. I do.

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I don't think I've ever seen either of my parents read a book, but there were a number of kids books around the house because of my siblings. None of us were really readers though.

At first, Sesame Street and a few other TV programs read to me.

When I finally got to school, teachers would read to me in person as I was taught to read and write.

I guess this is an example of why it's important to have decent public schools/libraries and educational children's shows on public television.

11. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

And you'd think these things might not be such a necessity in education (and in raising children since it's apparently so easy) but these are clearly very different social and economic times than just a generation ago. One need not pore through labor statistics to see that in terms of time, the average person is a worker before all else. It's unfortunate and unfair to the kids but there's way more broken here than the average parents concern for their child's education.

12. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I love to read. I would probably rather sit quietly in a corner with a good book and a cold beer than just about anything else. I love reading to my children. My eldest (7.5 yo) is a pretty voracious reader too. His 5.5yo brother can write letters, and wants to read but isn't there yet. He starts school next week. I'm expecting (like his brother) that he will devour books once he gets the knack.

I'm not a teacher - I don't have a clue *how* to go about teaching them to read, but I do know how to give them an appreciation of the written word. I can also help them with their homework when they bring it home.

They have access to a lot of age appropriate books at home and get stories read to them *every* day.

Did I say how much I love to read? :)

13. Yes you do...

This. That's it.

14. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Sorry I don't buy it. There are many stay at home parents that I know that have dumb kids. There are many stay at home parents that I know that have really super smart kids. What's the difference?

The parents with smart kids actually engage them in learning.

The others leave it to other people to do like teachers, friends, Elmo, Dora, and Umizoomi.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baraka_Guru

I was a pretty dumb kid; sure, maybe that was because of neglect. When I became an adult, I took responsibility for myself. I may have had a really tough time of it if it weren't for teachers, Big Bird, and Jeff & Jodie.

Kids are kids, and they respond to stimuli. Parents are just one aspect, and if you consider the weekly hours invested, parental time investment often isn't the majority by any stretch. Parents do have significant indirect influence though. Kids who fail in school often have problems at home.

Sure, the onus is ultimately on parents, but parents fail. Kids shouldn't have to suffer more than they need to as a result. "It takes a village to raise a child." No family is an island.

16. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

I don't disagree with you Cyn, I simply see larger contributing factors at play here than parental neglect. Some of which were alluded to in my initial post, none of which you've directly responded to. Parents should indeed invest more of their time and effort in their children's studies. Having said that, what exactly don't you agree with?

17. cynthetiq

Bolded items I disagree with the implications that I understand within the context of these few sentences.

Social and economic times don't necessarily affect values that parents want to instill on their children. Again, engaged parents do so without the distraction of the external items knowing that greater good is giving solid values produce a foundation for life.

Many of the kids I see being raised by stay at home parents aren't necessarily better off than those with parents that work.
    --- merged: Jan 25, 2012 3:40 PM ---
    I take umbrage to the idea that it takes a village.

I'll agree that it takes a community, but I will not be forced to take care of or be implicated in the idea that I'm helping shape a child in some way that I'm not engaged with directly just because I live within the same geographical area. I believe that community puts the onus directly with the stakeholders, those that do and will benefit directly from the child being raised. But to imply that the rest of the village has responsibility irks me.

Village is too vague of a word to see the amount of people that it takes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

after a certain age, it doesn't matter what you've taught the child; it's up to the child to actually apply what they've learned.

19. Baraka_Guru

Cyn, that's a very old African proverb. Village should indeed be read as community. Traditionally, a village was a community. Today, given that many people live in cities now, this proverb should be read as: children are raised by the societies/communities to which they belong. There is no getting around it.

So the proverb doesn't imply that the village or the city is responsible for the child. It suggests that children cannot be well raised without the influences of their community.

It basically means that we are social animals, and we shouldn't deny that aspect of ourselves, especially where children are concerned.

If it weren't for my "village," I would likely have been a lost cause.

20. cynthetiq

Here's where I diverge. What is the size of a village? There are some villages that are larger than some towns and cities.

There are villages that I've been to with less than 1,000 people in them. There are villages that have over 50,000 people within them. Which village produces better children? One that has more direct connect with the children or others that can "let someone else be responsible" for the work?
    --- merged: Jan 25, 2012 3:53 PM ---
    That's better understanding. I don't like english language as much as other languages because of the misappropriation of direct definitions of words and meanings.

I don't belive you with that last sentence.