1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Your simplest cooking tips, tricks or recipes

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by curiousbear, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'.

2. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

Perhaps this will work for removing moisture from other veggies. I will have to try! Someone I never liked Tofu...

3. loquitur

loquitur Getting Tilted

Brussels sprouts. They're amazing when cooked and you don't even have to do much to them. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray (olive oil cooking spray is best). Dump the sprouts on the sheet. Spray them. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, onion and garlic. Cover with foil, tightly. Bake at 350 for two to 2-1/2 hours. And that's it. I use them as snacks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Buying cheaper cuts of tough meat and braising them, low and slow, in a flavourful liquid.

In many ways, it's a lot tastier than a steak.

• Like Like x 4
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Then you have probably never had it cooked correctly :)
    --- merged: Oct 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM ---

I like to roast them and then hit them with parm or nutritional yeast right after they come out of the oven.

Speaking of nutritional yeast: it's a wonderful alternative to parmesan in many applications, and because it stores well, it's easy to keep on hand at all times.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013
  6. curiousbear

I had never cooked it at home. Only eaten outside. My vietnamese coworker told me you have to buy the right one. Perhaps I have to figure it out. And also a proper recipe.

7. snowy

There is a tofu company in Eugene called Surata Foods. Excellent tofu. I'd see if you could find it where you are.

8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I've always thought that tofu was pretty much tasteless, that it would take on the flavor of the seasoning used when cooking it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Any tips for reheating leftovers that were made with fresh mushrooms? I sometimes like to use fresh mushrroms as a protein substitute for meat. The downside is we tend to end up with leftovers, and reheated mushrooms are pretty yucky.

9. snowy

It can be pretty tasteless, which makes it a great vehicle for Buffalo sauce ;)

What kind of mushrooms are you using? White, cremini, Portobello?

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'll see your pieces of ice and raise you frozen wild blueberries. :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Frozen fruit! My god, the possibilities!
    Thank you.

/was blind, now I see
    //kicks the ice to the curb

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The frozen wild blueberries work especially well because of their small individual size.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I don't eat all that much cereal these days but when I did, frozen strawberries where my thing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

The 'standard' white mushrooms usually readily available at most gorcery stores.

15. snowy

I haven't cooked with those in years, as I find the cremini (also known as baby Portobellos) maintain their texture better. They're a bit beefier.

16. curiousbear

We eat mushrooms a lot
    They are bit like tofu too
    I will check for tofu by surata I live near Portland too so must be able to find

17. snowy

Here they have it at Winco.

18. Chris Noyb

We buy the plain janes because of $$ constraints. The grocery stores in our 'hood' aren't the greatest; a large Asian market recently opened near us, I need drop in.

19. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I tried a variation on your peanut sauce, it was quick and easy, and it worked very well. I used molasses instead of sugar and added garlic and cumin. Was yummy served over baked chicken thighs. I only wish I had used the whole jar of peanut butter.:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

When cooking pasta, always drain it 1-2 minutes short of al dente. Then put it back into the pot, add the sauce and let the pasta finish cooking gently in the sauce until done. This is also a good time to add grated cheese as well. Transfer to your serving bowl, then add any delicate herbs (like basil) if you're using them. The finished pasta will be awesome.