1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Your simplest cooking tips, tricks or recipes

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by curiousbear, Oct 25, 2013.

1. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

Started buying this tofu. The Times so far. The different recipes. Liked them all.

This was the last time. Berry nice
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yummy yummy tofu!

3. snowy

4. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I haven't. But now that I know how easy it is, I think I'll try it. Great find! Let us know how it goes if you make it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

I have to go to the hippie grocery store today to finish acquiring my husband's birthday presents, so I was planning on picking up some sesame seeds while there, as I always have chickpeas in the cupboard, ready for chana masala.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Almost anything can be used to crust chicken breasts to give it a little extra oomph before roasting it in the oven.

My classy favorite? Grind up some breadcrumbs with fresh garlic cloves, a few sundried tomatoes, and one or two tablespoons of the sundried tomato oil, coat chicken on both sides, bake 25 minutes.

My redneck favorite? Crushed French's friend onions with a little bit a flour, dip chicken in egg wash, dip in coating, oven at 350 for about 25 minutes.

Other tried and true: Corn Flakes, Cheez-Its, bread crumbs and Parmesan, my classy brother even likes Doritos.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

Ketoers frequently use chicharrones (pork rinds) to bread their chicken.

8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Arrowroot starch and a tiny bit of egg. Yum.

9. snowy

Kenji's writeup of this slow cooked tomato sauce is a revelation: The Food Lab: Use the Oven to Make the Best Darned Italian American Red Sauce You've Ever Tasted | Serious Eats

I haven't tried it yet, but one of my favorite ways to put up tomatoes is to roast them (Oven-Roasted Tomatoes | David Lebovitz), pack them into quart bags, and freeze. They hold up for YEARS if treated well (not joking; used the last quart a couple months ago from tomatoes I did 2 years ago, and it was just fine). Knowing how roasting concentrates the flavors so marvelously, I can imagine that cooking sauce in the oven is a great idea. Now I just need to ovenproof the handle on my Lodge enameled cast iron.

10. ^^^I cannot stress this enough! Let the meat rest after you grill it! I have plenty of family members who take beef steaks out of the freezer, then either grill them straight away or toss them in the microwave oven then grill.

The best thing for meat, especially red meat. Is to let it thaw in the sink with no water, or slightly warm water. then let it sit at room temperature for awhile. Then when you're done grilling toss it in a glass container with tin foil as a top. Let it rest for approximately five minutes.

• Like Like x 3
  11. snowy

Prep multiple meals from the same bases!

Yesterday, I prepped a batch of four-bean chili, a Mexican lasagna, and a regular lasagna. These meals all started with sautéed onions and peppers. I then split that into three portions. I threw one into the slow cooker, another into the enamel cast iron Dutch oven, and kept the third in the sauté pan. The chili came together in the slow cooker, the filling for the Mexican lasagna in the sauté pan, and the Dutch oven was used to make a robust tomato sauce loaded with veggies. I made Bechamel later for the lasagna; it would have been easy enough to make a double batch and turn some into Mornay sauce for mac and cheese.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Snowy, I'm starting to have "interesting" thoughts about me, you, and Rachel Ray. :p

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Meh, I don't think Rachel could keep up with Snowy.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris Noyb

The important question is would you give Rachel Ray the chance to keep up with Snowy?

I would.

BTW, I'm referring to cooking, and only cooking. Seriously. :rolleyes:

15. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Best I can do is cook a bunch of chicken at one time. Chicken for days!

16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Sure you are, sure you are.

I think Nigella Lawson or Amanda Freitag have the skills and would be just freaky enough to to keep up.

• Like Like x 2
  17. snowy

Suuuure...;)

18. snowy

Nigella for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

I'll need to Google those names. I'm guessing that they're attractive chefs/cooks.

20. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Personally I think Amanda is more attractive than Nigella.No idea about the "cooking" skills.