1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Your State's Signature Food

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by redux, Oct 20, 2013.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I do love Key Lime pie.

I question the peach pie thing for Georgia, though. Georgia is known for peaches, but not so much for peach pie.
    I would say that pecan pie or Georgia-style bbq would be a better choice.

2. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

As a Georgian, I agree. Pecan Pie!! Or peach...anything. Strangely (or not), I dislike most everything peach flavored.

We have a lot of peanuts here, too. Nobody ever talks about the poor peanut.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Largely, they don't. Growing up in WA, it was raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries. The idea that there was a blackberry cultivar as delicious as a Marionberry was completely foreign to me. It may have changed in more recent years--I hope it has, as Marionberries are awesome, and much better than more common kinds of blackberries people are familiar with. One of the best jams I've ever made was about 80% Marionberry, 20% Boysenberry. It's also one more awesome cultivar my alma mater developed ;)

4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Agreed, there's a reason it's called Chicago-style, rather than Illinois-style. The suburbs are about as far as it gets.

"Cowboy Cookies" for Colorado? In 14 years, I've never heard of it. I'd probably go with pork green chili, instead, We toss it over most anything and that's OK.

5. snowy

I would kill for a good Chicago-style pie. Actually, my husband and I were just talking about pizza last night. Apparently he misses Chicago pizza as much as I do. I think once we have good jobs and can afford some travel, a visit to the Windy City is on the list for a variety of reasons.

6. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Um, excuse me, Snobby Article Guy, Cincinnati chili is AWESOME. Gold Star is way better, though.

North Carolina's signature food is pulled pork barbeque. I can totally see that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I really think people either love this or hate it. Am I right?

8. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I suppose stereotypically the traditional meal of England would be roast beef.

9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

One of the first things I think of (only having spent a few hours in England, so I'm not claiming any expertise) is fish and chips.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CinnamonGirl

That's pretty accurate. From what I've seen, it seems to be most popular from Dayton to Northern Kentucky. Columbus people (in general) hate it. North Carolina people just look at you funny-- both for describing a 3-way AND suggesting chili is an excellent topping for spaghetti :) (whenever I get homesick, I'll make my own version. Lordeden always passes. Harrumph.)

11. Borla

I like chili/spaghetti mixtures ('chili mac' we called it as a kid), but I am just not a huge fan of the cinnamon addition. Steak n Shake has "Chili x-Way" that is good for fast food, and I don't think they do the cinnamon thing. I've had that before and liked it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I like the Chili with the cinnamon in it - for me it's really the noodles that trips me up. I know IRS the same concept as spaghetti (and I love that), but chili and noodles is weird to me.

13. CinnamonGirl

Hmph. Cinnamon makes everything better. (ba-dum-tsh.)

Cincinnati chili has chocolate, as well. I seem to remember Steak & Shake adding ketchup to theirs, but it's been a really long time since I had it, so I might be making that up.

Damn it, I really want some Cincinnati food now.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Mmmm, I do love me some rare roast beef with Yorkshire pudding.

Although I have to agree with Borla, I'd probably think of fish & chips as England's signature food. If we were really being traditional, though, it'd probably be meat pies.

Nonetheless, I expect there might also be something to be said for Toad In The Hole, Spotted Dick, Trifle, or treacle tart, all wonderfully traditional English fare.

15. Borla

As much as I like awesome food and will try almost anything, a lot of savory/sweet combinations don't do it for me. I don't like fruit on my meat (like apples w/porkchops), and I rarely like sweet BBQ sauces.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Steak & Shake chili is great, but it IS one of those "this is so horrible it is good" indulgences we all need from time to time. Like White Castle. :p

16. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Oh, man, I live for savory/sweet! When I lived in LA, and I had friends over to BBQ, I would always do a "Pulp Fiction" Big Kahuna burger, with a Hawaiian teriyaki glaze, and with a pineapple ring on it. That's one tasty burger.

17. Borla

It's the exact opposite for me. I know some of those combinations are popular, but I rarely like them. Part of it is that I'm not a big sweets person, but I think part of it is that I'm usually a purist when it comes to meat. If the meat is great, I don't care for a ton of other flavors with it, especially strong ones, I usually want it to stand alone.

18. snowy

I think of tikka masala (chicken tikka) as the quintessential English dish :p but that's probably because it's where I first had it, and there seems to be as many curry shops as chip shops. Sometimes they're together (weird).

19. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Akutaq (Alaska)

Uh, no. What he's talking about a traditional Inuit dish usually served to unsuspecting cheechakos (tourists or newcomers who want to sample authentic native cuisine).
    When I was a kid we made ours out of snow, berries, and sweetened condensed milk. No Crisco or whale blubber.

I'd say the real Alaskan dish would be reindeer sausage.
    So yummy with blueberry sourdough pancakes for breakfast.

20. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I wouldn't argue about beef brisket BBQ in Texas, but much of it depends on the restaurant, the wood, and which region of Texas.