1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your Ten Books

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by redravin, Aug 26, 2014.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

If you spend much time on Facebook you might have run across this already but I'm really interested in what books influenced the folks on TFP. I cheated a little bit with the Mars series but it turned me towards SF after reading the Hardy Boys series when I was eight and I never stopped.

The rules are:
    'List 10 books that have stayed with you in some way. Don't take more than a few minutes, and don't think too hard. It's not about the "right book" or great works of literature, just ones that have affected you in some way. Doesn't have to be in order. Then tag 10 friends and me so I can see your list.'

Farmers Boy by Laura Ingalls wilder
    The Glass Teat by Harlan Ellison
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
    Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
    How To Talk Dirty And Influence People by Lenny Bruce
    Rules For Radicals by Saul Alinsky
    The Mars Series by Edger Rice Burroughs
    Glory Road by Robert Heinlein
    I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison
    Telling Lies For Fun And Profit by Lawrence Block

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Foxe's Book of Martyrs - William Byron Forbush
    Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
    The Bible (I prefer the NAS or Authorised Version, not a fan of the NIV)
    Phantom Tollboth
    Foundation Series (first book if I have to choose one) - Asimov
    The Hobbit/Lord of the Ring Series - Tolkien
    The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
    Lord of the Flies - William Golding
    Don't know about "influenced" but it certainly is unforgettable and sticks in my head despite not reading it for at least 20 if not 25 years.
    Gulag Archipelago - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (Whole series of books he wrote but this one if I have to choose)
    My dad had these on the bookshelves downstairs throughout my childhood and there are compelling read of what can happen with a nightmare government system in place.
    88 Reasons why the rapture will happen in 1988 - Edgar C. Whisenant or Hal Lindsey's Late Great Planet Earth
    Both prime examples of the "imminent rapture" movement, and just one reason I am definitely NOT into premillennialism and think that the idea is bollocks.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I responded to this on Facebook last December. Here's what I wrote:

-----

Okay. All of these are books which had a lot of influence on me. At least, these were the first ten I thought of.

[1] Edward Tufte, The Visual Display of Quantitative Information (1983)

[2] John Crowley, Little, Big (1981)

[3] Jo Ann Stover, Mr. Widdle and the Sea Breeze (1962)

[4] Steven Pinker, The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined (2011)

[5] Oliver Sacks, Seeing Voices (1989)

[6] Garry Wills, Lincoln at Gettysburg (1992)

[7] Erving Goffman, Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity (1963)

[8] Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities (1961)

[9] Paul Starr, The Social Transformation of American Medicine (1982)

[10] James Q. Wilson, Bureaucracy (1989)

Many thanks to each of these writers.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm a bit annoyed because I like to be thorough, but I could only come up with five (without going past the "few minutes" thing). I didn't want to put some on the list just to fill it out. I wanted to be sure they really stuck with me.

My difficulty with coming up with ten is a combination of a shoddy memory and the fact that I haven't actually read that many books in my lifetime (relatively speaking).

Regardless, here are some that I would include in such a list:
    1. Dhammapada (trans. and commentary by Thomas Cleary)
    2. Songs of Innocence and of Experience, William Blake
    3. Lyrical Ballads, William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    4. Ulysses, James Joyce
    5. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
    I find that I remember certain books fondly when I actively recall them. Even then, I won't remember many of the details. Maybe a few snippets, but mostly the spirit of the book. The titles in the list above have a more prominent recurring influence on me, but, again, mostly in spirit.

I will quote from Ulysses to give you an idea of how my mind works: “I can't remember anything. I remember only ideas and sensations.”

If I really had to push it, I'd add these to the list (though the first two are trilogies):
    1. The Gormenghast trilogy
    2. The Fionavar Tapestry
    3. Et Tu, Babe, Mark Leyner
    4. White Noise, Don DeLillo
    5. The Once and Future King, T. H. White
    Though I really think Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse should be on there somewhere. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure how it has influenced me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. redux

redux Very Tilted

Tough to choose, but these came to mind.

Fiction
    Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Exodus
    Lonesome Dove
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Non-fiction
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York
    Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
    Buried My Heart at Wounded Knee
    Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation

• Like Like x 1
  6. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

My list does tend to shift a bit from time to time. But most of the major players stay the same. Fair warning: I count compendia, series, trilogies, and such as one work. Deal with it.

OK:

1. Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
    2. The Silmarillion, JRR Tolkien
    3. The Tanach Mikra'ot Gedolot Edition (Hebrew Bible with numerous classical commentaries on the page), various authors
    4. The Talmud, various authors
    5. Moby-Dick, Herman Melville
    6. Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
    7. The Three Musketeers, Alexander Dumas
    8. The Poems of the Pearl Manuscript, authors unknown
    9. The Mabinogion or Tain bo Cualinge
    10. The Dune pentalogy, Frank Herbert

• Like Like x 1
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Since I grew up in a book store (no joke) ...a hard call...

Magician (the Riftwar series) - Raymond E. Fiest

The Belgariad & The Mallorian (series) - David Eddings

Jhereg (the Vlad Taltos series) - Steven Brust

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (series) - Douglas Adams

Genius - James Gleick (bio of Richard Feynman, one of my role models)

Chaos - James Gleick (Fractals and Chaos Theory)

Infinity and the Mind - Rudy Rucker (Science & Philosophy of the Infinite)

A History of the Modern World - Palmer & Colton (My first DEEP read into world history in college, with philosophy behind it)

Random House Encyclopedia - Random House (First contemporary encyclopedia, in one, with pics and summaries...like Wiki, before Wiki...yes, I read it all...again & again)

The Book of Thoth - Aleister Crowley (Background and philosophy of his Tarot card deck, fascinating symbolism...my avatar of The Fool is from it)

The first four...I know are series, but I treat them as one.
    Especially, since I've read each series at once multiple times...many times, all in a row when I do.

two runner-ups...
    - Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (The Da Vinci Code...before The Da Vinci Code...MUCH more complex, deep and ironic...get out your Encyclopedia and brain cells for this one)
    - The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell (based off the excellent PBS series)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

In no particular order,
    The Grapes of Wrath ( I hated it in high school though - moved too slowly for me)
    To Kill A Mockingbird (read to us by a teacher in 7th grade)
    Lord of the Flies
    Where the Wild Things Are
    The Summerhouse
    Flowers for Alernon
    Huckleberry Finn
    Of Mice and Men
    The Bible
    The Little Red Hen

• Like Like x 1
  9. Street Pattern

I should have mentioned the Alexandria Quartet, a tetralogy by Laurence Durrell.

10. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Ooh, I could add The Stand to that or as a very close 11. If anything switch that for Lord of the Flies, as I have read The Stand (uncut 1990 version, not the 1986 version) numerous times and still do.

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I almost had The Stand on my list as well.

12. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I had to skip over most of what others posted so not to be influenced. Some of these I read years ago, some I read fairly recently. In decending order of importance:

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, by Betty Smith.

To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.

Papillion, by Henri Charriere.

That Was Then This Is Now, by S.E. Hinton. I read other 'Young Adult' books by Hinton.

---I also read quite a few other 'young adult moral dilemma' books,' but I can't recall any of the authors.---

The Prince Of Tides, by Pat Conroy.

The Road, by Cormac McCarty.

No Country For Old Men, by Cormac McCarty.

Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand. Very honorable mention for Seabiscuit.

Cold Mountain, by Robert Frazier.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

1. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen. I reread it yearly.
    2. Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy. This is my high school English teacher's favorite book; his suggestion that I read it was one that I took, and it's stuck with me.
    3. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
    4. Anne of Green Gables and the rest of the series from L.M. Montgomery. I reread them often.
    5. The Lord of the Rings and its associated works, J.R.R. Tolkien. Also a frequent reread.
    6. White Noise by Don DeLillo. I wish more people would read this book. I read it for two different college courses and reread it with some regularity.
    7. Discipline and Punish, Michel Foucault. I have fond memories of reading Foucault in coffee shops in college.
    8. Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Paolo Freire. This book forms the foundation of my teaching. Essentially, the idea is that I have as much to learn from my students as they have to learn from me.
    9. The Complete Pelican Shakespeare.
    10. Fahrenheit-451, Ray Bradbury. It's really some of the first sci-fi I read that wasn't a Star Trek novel.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Right?

• Like Like x 2
  15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

One of my neighbors praised Foucault's Pendulum so much I finally read it. You're correct, it's not an easy read, it helps if the reader likes to solve puzzles (which excludes me). I really enjoyed The Name of the Rose, and The Prague Cemetery. I haven't started Baudolino, don't know if I ever will.

I saw the movie as a kid, but only read excerpts of the novella in school. I didn't read the full book until fairly recently. I couldn't handle reading it when I was younger, it literally struck way too close to home.

17. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

hmmm.

for me, off the top of my head, it'd be something like:

Asimov's Foundation
    Herbert's Dune
    Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land
    Heller's Catch 22
    Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide
    Deighton's Hook, Line, Sinker, Game, Set, Match, Faith, Hope, Charity, and WInter decalogue
    McCaffrey's Dragon Books
    Julian May's Saga of the Exiles
    Pratchet's Equal Rites (the first of his books I read)
    Graves' Claudius

Honorable mentions go to Slaghterhouse Five, and Lord of the Flies.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Street Pattern

Eight of my ten were nonfiction. If I were to focus on fiction, I would start with the two that I included in my original ten (Little, Big and Mr. Widdle and the Sea Breeze), add the Alexandria Quartet as mentioned in my postscript, along with The Casual Vacancy (J.K. Rowling), Snow Crash (Neil Stephenson), Neuromancer (William Gibson), Dhalgren (Samuel R. Delaney), The Crying of Lot 49 (Thomas Pynchon), the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" (Douglas Adams), and the Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling). All together, that would make ten items of fiction.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
    Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
    Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block (super flowery fantasy YA stuff, I read all of her books)
    The Catcher In the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
    Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Flowers for Algernon is a book that I love, but takes me back to my grandmother's decline and death, in my twenties. Chokes me up every time.