1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

your work commute

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Oct 29, 2013.

1. paddyjoe

paddyjoe curious

Mines about 8 minutes.

Used to be 3, but we moved the shop two years ago....

2. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

It is not the distance or even time... I see how much trouble it takes

Like how many stop signs and traffic lights? 5 to 10 one way max is reasonable to me

I also count distance using songs. How many songs away is it? 4 to 8 is reasonable to me

Like MM said I use commute time as my time. It is very precious to me. So if it is a stressful time due to lack of smooth flow then anything more than 30 min is HARD.

3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

But what kind of songs? I mean, there's a big difference between "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," by Pink Floyd, or "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (full version)," by Iron Butterfly, or "Alice's Restaurant," by Arlo Guthrie, versus, say, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," "Peggy Sue," or "La Bamba."

4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

That made me laugh... I measure time in songs sometimes, too. It sounds odd, but I like to say an average of two-three minutes per song.

5. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I drive 45 minutes to and from work daily. If traffic is moving, I can get there in 35 minutes, but in any case I have a 10-15 minute walk once I have finished driving those 35-45 minutes. I usually factor in an hour and a half, then take any extra time to check e-mail and regroup.
    I'd much rather the 15-minute walk be my only commute, but that's not reasonable at present.

6. Alistair Eurotrash

Most of you are lucky.

Sometimes I work at home. My commute right now is fine and normally takes an hour (never less) and I consider it easy.

Going into London was about 1.5 hours but could take 2 hours - but that was a drive to the train station and then public transport the rest of the way. A car is much easier - it's just sitting down and listening to the radio.

I generally think of anything within 1.5 hours as commutable. Over that, I may commute a couple of days a week but would then stay over or work at home - assuming it is going to be sustainable and not just short term.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

If I am vacationing in a big city, public transit is fun. I'm not sure I would be able to handle it every work day. Especially if the subway didn't run very often. Like if you really had to be at the train station at a certain time or you would have to wait for 30 minutes...much too stressful for me and my lack of time management.

8. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

When the road isn't washed away, my commute is 20 miles. 15 of these are down a very steep winding canyon. It's a blast on a motorcycle and not so much in a 4wd Tacoma on the ice and snow. These days it's 35-45 depending on weather and how I feel about law breaking.

9. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

My commute is a solid hour on a Metra train, and is 45-50 miles depending on which train I take. I have to factor in an extra hour each way to get to day care and then to the train, and the reverse home.

Is it worth it? Many many commuters in Chicago area do the exact same thing I do. I have a small cost offset because I qualify for reduced fare. The pay itself doesn't neccessarily warrant the time, but I do work from home 1 day a week now, and I have extreme flexibility with my schedule to Deal With Life. I feel the commute is worth the time for that flexibility, and to be part of a company that is growing in worth and size and compensation over time.

10. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

My first job since moving to this area was about 50mi away. Part of the reason we ended up living in this town, despite the distance to the nearest major metropolitan areas (Washington D.C. and Baltimore), was the availability of a commuter train line opening up right around the time that we arrived. The train trip was scenic but long, typically an hour and a half one way. It wouldn't have been so bad had there been more than three trains running each way. With only two and my work day typically not ending until close to 6, I'd usually get home later than 8pm every night. Since leaving that job, each subsequent position has gotten me closer and closer to working in my own town, every time thankfully accessible to public transportation.

I currently work just about a mile from my home and ride my bike every day, rain or shine. It takes about 7 minutes if I hit every light on green. I couldn't be happier.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Currently, I ride my bike to school. It is usually 10 minutes door to door for me, and I love it, although not in inclement weather. My commute increases to 30 minutes or more if I need to take a bus or walk to class instead.

At one point (in the DC area), I was doing a round trip of about 75 miles a day, but each way would take me between 50 and 90 minutes, depending on what time I left home or the office. If it was a holiday weekend, fuck everything - tourists destroyed the traffic patterns during rush hour, and some days it would take me 3 hours to get home. The tolls were the worst - each way to and from work was $11.90 in tolls, and I'm sure it has increased significantly now, 4 years later. I once tried to decrease my commute time in a car/decrease mileage on my car by switching to public transportation. It was a 20 minute drive to the train station, a 45 minute+ ride on a train, a transfer to the metro, a 5 minute ride on the metro, and then another 5-10 minute walk from the train station. It was ridiculous and significantly limited my flexibility to stay late at work/arrive early, so I switched back to driving. I got through a LOT of audiobooks that year - including Atlas Shrugged. I hit fast forward through the preachy parts, though. :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

They can't handle driving in rain, snow, fog, or sunshine, and certainly not on holidays.

I don't miss it, at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Wow. More power to you.

I looked into taking the Metra and bus to work, since I live around half a mile from the Deerfield train station. Turns out it would have been a nightmare of changing trains and buses, close to a two hour commute, and would only have gotten me to work either late or half an hour early. And since my first class starts at nine, and I am not a morning person, there was just no way I was going to do this.

Chicago is supposed to have great public transportation, but I think that's just the city. If you're in the suburbs-- especially the North Shore-- the public transportation is nowhere near as great. Better than LA, definitely, but not convenient enough, to my mind, to rely on for commuting, unless you just happen to work near a train station that's a straight shot down the single line on which you live.

New York definitely has us beat in public transportation, and I have never been to any city that equals London for quality, availability, and user-friendly public transportation.

14. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am currently 40 minutes door-to-door using the MRT (subway). If I ride my bike it's around 20 minutes travel and another 60 minutes to cool down and shower (it's hot!).

I use my commute time to read the news or books and listen to music. I don't understand how people can sit doing nothing.

With my last job the commute was 10-15 minutes door-to-door using the MRT. It was pretty sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. If I drive, it takes me about 10-15 minutes. If I bike, it's about double that. Luckily it's only about 5 miles, so it's not a huge deal, but because I'm a wimp I don't bike there anymore (mostly because of the now-constant sub-freezing temperatures and snow).

16. I was making a 45+ minute morning commute in crazy traffic. I was barely arriving on time feeling rushed and stressed. I started leaving 30 minutes earlier, missing most of the traffic, and spending the saved time over a relaxed breakfast at a nearby cafe. The drive averages @20 minutes now.
    There's no escape from the traffic going home. 45 to 60 minutes is the best it ever gets. Sports talk on the radio keeps me company.

17. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I've doing now about 30 minutes on good days, an hour on bad days.
    I don't even attempt it Friday afternoons when everyone is escaping, I just go work out at the gym until it dies down.

I've done a variety of long-run commutes.
    1 hour 45min from the port of San Diego to the northern edge of the county.
    Going into DC...drive to express bus, take bus to metro station, metro to city, walk to project.

My record so far is 2 hours avg each way.
    Drive to Marc train, Train to Grand Central, Metro from there to center of DC, Walk two blocks to site.
    But it was working for the Executive Office, so who's going to refuse that?

If my HQ moves, I'll be in a bit of a jam.
    Highway E to W, Highway N to S, Around the Beltway to Tyson's Corner.

So, it will be bad...especially since Tyson's is under construction, adding a new metro, crowded already,
    The beltway on the NorthWest side to/from 95 will be messy, between the American Legion Bridge, 270 corridor and the Silver Spring weave.
    Or I could take the long way around, but you've got everything that could happen in that length...and the "mixing bowl".

On a good day, that would be an hour...don't ask me about a bad day. :eek:

I might be reconsidering my options if they do that.
    But hey, that's why I live in this area, always options...when companies make "business decisions".
    Then again, I'm thinking of moving on anyway.
    So, I'll be doing my own "business decisions"

In truth, I like a bit of separation between home & work.
    Otherwise, the company takes advantage of it, calling me in at all hours.

But I just can't do the stop & go traffic anymore, my heal on my gas/brake foot gets aggravated.
    Then I'm limping for a couple of days after.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  18. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I was asking because I have been offered a new job and it's a very good job but it's an hour and ten minute ride and I did not know if that was reasonable compared to everybody else.

19. I know people who travel longer than 1:10 to get to work. It's a bit on the long side, but not completely unheard of.

If you don't mind the 2+ hour round trip commute, and will be able to cover the cost of getting there and back (public transit, gas in your vehicle, etc) and will enjoy the job more than what you're doing now, definitely go for it!

• Like Like x 1
  20. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Well, it COULD be reasonable. Does it pay well? Are the benefits good? Are both of those combined worth being in your car for two hours and twenty minutes every day?

If it was something I liked, and something that paid well, I wouldn't mind the drive. There are other factors, though--is the money worth the time spent away from your family? Is it a high traffic commute? Do you have to get up ridiculously early?