1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Zombie Survival State By State

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by redravin, Mar 26, 2014.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I'm pretty sure that any of you who are active on the web have see this but I'm posting it for a couple of reasons.
    One because I think their logic is actually pretty sound but how they got their info (social media) is a bit iffy.
    And two I wanted to tell a story.
    Rogue49 can back me up on this one.
    While we were sitting shiva for Jadzia we were looking for any kind of conversation that didn't involve going over the same things we'd said a hundred times.
    Somehow we started talking about the Zombie Apocalypse, the younger members in the group jumped in and a great conversation went from there.
    It wasn't until I noticed some of the rather horrified looks from the older folks that I realized maybe talking about zombies at shiva wasn't the best idea in the world.
    So...
    Anyway what are the chances you will survive and what are your plans?

It figures that I moved from the state that has the best chance of surviving to one that has the least.
    And for folks in other countries what are your chances?
    I figure Canada should be a lot like Alaska, at least the rural areas.

U.S. States Most And Least Likely To Survive The Zombie Apocalypse | Estately Blog

• Like Like x 2
  2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

...well, looks like I'm moving back to Ohio.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I disagree with the idea that Oregon should be so low on the list. For one, we have large areas that are completely uninhabited. For two, this state is full of preppers and people who fall just shy of being preppers; the pioneer spirit is still really strong here, so people engage in hobbies that would save them. For three, I doubt (as a gun owner) that the number of gun owners listen in Oregon is accurate. I know I wouldn't be among them, since I inherited mine.

And WTF does laser tag have to do with ANYTHING?

Personally, I'd just bug out (a legit option here).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

There is no way that zombies would take over Texas. We have too many gunhappy rednecks here. For that matter, most of the South should be in the green.

Now, my fat ass? Dead within a day, two at most. I *will* take out a small horde first, though.

5. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

I expect I'd be someone's lunch in short order.

I hope the undead SOB chokes on me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

In all seriousness...I wonder if the government has developed a contingency plan yet.
    They do for everything else.

And while there may not be literal zombies, there may be a contagion that resembles it.

7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Oh--The Plan. @Lordeden thinks we should hit up a Wal-Mart, then head for West Virginia...his best friend's family owns like, a zillion acres up there.

I think everyone else will have the same idea about Wal-Mart, though. I think part of the original plan was taking over a WM and basically living in it. But, yeah, I think too many people will try that one.

So, as mentioned in a previous thread somewhere that I can't find right now, we're somewhat prepared for disaster, whether it be natural or of the zombie variety. Right now we have an "emergency box," but that's going to evolve into bug out bags for both of us, as well as for the dogs. We were just talking about how useful a bug out vehicle would be--older model, no computer chips, you could work on it with small engine knowledge.

And, since I read ARV-3, I've been thinking more about an underground bunker. Part of me says, "okay, that's a little too paranoid, Cinn," and another part of me thinks, "but it would be SO AWESOME, and waaaaay easier than traveling hundreds of miles." Short of a winning lottery ticket, though, there's no way we could afford something like that, so I guess the point is sorta moot.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jon Quixote

Jon Quixote Vertical

At first, I thought I was screwed. I saw that list of survival skills and thought, "I... I suck." I have taken no martial arts training, own nothing but a sword in terms of weapons, and spend way too much time in front of the TV. But then I saw laser tag...

Now, my chances of survival are super high. If laser tag were a skill like in D&D, I would be the highest ranking. I play constantly, the team I'm on has never gotten below first place, and I'm almost always in top 3 players. While all this time, I thought that playing laser tag to prepare myself for the zombie apocalypse was just swatting at windmills, it turns out I'm set. Screw what they say about California, if any of you guys find yourself in trouble, come on over her, I'll be scorin' shitloads of points off these undead SOB's.

So, my original plan was to stop at big five with my sword, grab some shooty weapons, then go to my local grocery store and loot away before stealing a boat and living at sea until it all dies down. Now, I realize how stupid this is. I'll just go straight to Ultrazone (with my four-person laser tag squad, "The Four Horsemen"), pick up some equipment, and go nuts, maybe grab some water balloons and plastic lightsabers while I'm at it.

It's gonna be gnarly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I'd just hide until all the concealed carry dipsticks were finished shooting each other and then get on with accumulating stuff and building an empire. Zombies don't scare me as much as those dudes. Now a horde of Frankenstein's monsters... another story

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Nice to see CO at #3. Mountain terrain would seem to slow them down. I'm guessing that vegan liberals just don't taste that good.

I don't remember Jadzia that well from the previous incarnation of TFP; but given her choice of names, I'd assume she'd find it pretty damn funny.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rogue49

Well, think about it...in a way, it will be like "The Hunger Games"
    No pun intended...I'm not talking about the zombies either...but many people will think of the same thing in a crisis.
    Similar to how the grocery store gets bought out before a snowstorm. (at least in the less snowy states)

While you're avoiding zombies...you'll also be dealing with other live humans...in a panic, in volume...or even hostile (or at least "competitive/aggressive/selfish)
    Like the start of The Hunger Games' game...many will center on the "valued" supplies.
    Others bigger or quicker may kill or wound to survive.

But like the heroine Katniss did...it might be better to simply at first...find safety...run away from the chaos, killing and volume of people.
    Only after it's settled down a bit...you've established your situation & mindset...and found some little food...do you venture out.
    Then you can start strategizing.

I used to play an enclosed form of TAG, The Assassination Game, the same way.
    Allow my competitors to eliminate each other a bit...just waiting some time.
    Then come out and deal with what's left.

I'd say in a crisis...at least stay away from the main highways...they'll be packed like Friday weekends or holidays.
    Figure out alternatives...clear, decent roads that head away from the crisis point.
    You getting there slower at 35-40 mph is better than trying to get on one that's 55-65 mph...but going nowhere in stop & go traffic.
    I do this all the time for TGIF commutes.

I'd say a good crowbar would be your best weapon, human or zombie.
    And you can use it to get into places and abandoned cars.

Since I'm in the Baltimore/DC region, I'd likely try for West Virginia for the long-term. (Delaware is over the bay & a bridge...too much of a bottleneck)
    I've found a variety of routes that would get me there. (and not just the main highways)

• Like Like x 1
  12. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

YES!!!! CANADA STILL SAFE!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Looks like my gun-owning, laser-tag-and-paintball-playing ass is safe since they'll devour the rest of CT before they get to me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

Well, I may have to move back to Oklahoma where my dad lives.
    But I don't want to be saddled with his ass. (old out of shape overweight heart-attack surviving ex-smoker)
    What's worse, he'll talk my ear off. (yes, I said it...someone who actually out talks me...can you even think it???)
    • Physically active - half-check, depends on what day you get me. Used to be in decent shape.
    • Military/Vet - nope
    • Marital Arts - check, taught Kenpo...know knifes and swords too. (can't wait to slice one up...you don't get to do that in practice)
    • Survival Skills - check, ex boy scout, ex DnD player. (Hey, let's see you figure out how to get out of those friggin' traps and not get killed)
    • Knowledge of Zombies - check, seen all the movies, read all the books (as long as they are fast runners, I've got a chance)
    • Laser-tag/Paint-ball - semi-check, don't play either, but I have played TAG, The Assassin Game...and I'm damn good with a bow.
    • Obesity - semi-check, I'm a bit overweight, but not obese...I'm tall, long legged, so it balances overall. Unfortunately, the allergies don't help.
    • Ironman Triathlon - semi-check, I didn't do Ironman, but I did half-tri's so that's good. Swim like a fish.
    I've got overall civil engineering and normal engineering knowledge, so I can help a survival community.
    But if anything may get me is if I have my incessant cough from my allergies. (I sound like a bullhorn...but it's seasonal, so I'll just hide myself then)

15. Not completely off topic, but Mira Grant accomplished almost the impossible; coming up with an (ahem) fresh take on Zombies (and the resultant Apocalypse) in her 'Newsflesh' series. Along the way she also created some interesting ideas about the internet and blogging as a "legitimate" news outlet. For instance, bloggers can voluntarily disclose in a public database a "Registered Bias" and having a central authority similar to the AP that accredits bloggers to give them the same protections and access as conventional reporters. A big part of the back story is that when the outbreak first occurred, "Big Media" was co-opted by the government to black out any information about the true nature of the plague and how dire the situation really was. So during the most critical period the only reliable sources were bloggers and YouTube videos. The main characters are a brother and sister who basically win a contest to be the first non-affiliated bloggers to be granted official status as members of the press and attached to a presidential campaign. Much zombie bashing and skull drudgery ensues.

The first book and second books (Feed and Deadline) were most excellent. I was very disappointed with the third book (Blackout) when she not only uses a deus ex machina, but has to stuff another machina inside the first.

Not only has the CDC perfected cloning with accelerated growth, but Oh didn't we mention we can down load your mind from your dead body into your force grown clone. *Poof*

The first book more or less stands on its' own, or read the whole thing with the knowledge that the third book will disappoint :mad:

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Thanks for the tip @VanderDeckken. I've just downloaded them to my kindle.
    Whilst we are off on a tangent,
    I found a good short UK tv series that has an interesting take on zombies. It's called In The Flesh , the first season was only three episodes but there are plans for a second series.
    The show is based after the zombie uprising, humanity has found a cure for zombies and the "partially deceased syndrome patients" are being reintroduced into society.
    In the Flesh (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [/threadjack]

17. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Not all gunhappy folks in Texas are rednecks. We do have plenty of both.

While I don't shit about zombies in games, TV programs, movies, books, etc., the "survivor" aspect of this thread does remind of the book The Road and the film.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  18. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I took one of those survival tests and it gave me mixed results.
    I can hunt, shoot,use a knife, like the woods and long hikes, build a fire, ride a bike, horse, know first aid, and wasn't squeamish about killing what needed to be killed.
    I even own a lot of the equipment needed to survive.
    The problem was I'm out of shape and I'm bit to kindhearted.
    I would probably wind up with getting killed trying to take care of some idiot who had no idea what they were doing.

19. rogue49

You also have to be wary of the idiot himself that you're being kindhearted to.
    It's not just the zombies you have to worry about in a Zombie Armageddon.
    If "The Walking Dead" has taught us anything, it's the dicks not the dead you have to be concerned about more.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1