1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Zoos

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by girldetective, May 16, 2015.

1. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

Hey, you Animals! Its been a loooong time since Ive been to a zoo. That old dog avoided them at all costs, saying Vegetarians dont go to the zoo. We debated zoos in general once or twice, with me playing the devils advocate. If this were a time when there were no zoos, I would oppose keeping wild animals captive privately or publicly. But, zoos do exist and since childhood I liked to visit them with the delusion their Boards, vets, keepers, and other workers were to be trusted to keep the animals in the best of health, rejuvenate animal populations, have the animals best interests were at heart, and all that jazz. He made sure to POP that bubble and reality sunk in a little bit.

The first zoo I ever went to was Lincoln Park in Chicago, and then Brookfield, and then a few here and there around the US. My local zoo is fairly modern, and has a separate area dedicated to local animals. The enclosures appear okay, most with green vegetation and some hidey places for the more shy. Most animals can be viewed outdoors and in. It appears the animals are well taken care of, although their spaces seem small and it seems larger bodies of water might be welcome. (Elephants are our big thing here and there are transfers of animals with other zoos, breeding programs, and that sort of thing. I worry for those elephants though as their place seems dreary and sorta awful. It seems we could create a better environment for them, but whatdoIknow.)

Our community seems quite invested and taken with the zoo, and I dont think a tax levy has ever gone down. There is large attendance to the zoo itself, as well as the camps, concerts, and other events they put on. I appreciate this, but I do hope that no other animals are bought by any zoo and that animal trafficking under the guise of civil and responsible ownership is stopped. On the other hand, I also appreciate breeding programs of animals that can be introduced to the wild and so forth.

Anyway, this is only a quick peek at the broad subject of zooing. I wonder about your zoos, what you think of them, what the future may be, and on and on.

2. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I will go to zoos that are large enough to have adequate space for their animals, and which have well-established reputations for humane animal care, cleanliness, and positive/non-invasive scientific study of their animals. So far it's a relatively short list of zoos (all American, of course, since zoos haven't been high on the list when I've gone to other countries), though I haven't looked extensively in some areas.

Best I've been to: the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park. Next best: Minnesota Zoo (outside the Twin Cities), more or less tied with National Zoo in Washington DC. The Milwaukee Zoo is just on the right side of decent enough for me to go.

I have heard great things about, but have not yet visited, the zoos in St. Louis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and Denver.

I will not go to the Lincoln Park Zoo, or any of the other small zoos around Chicago, though I hear Brookfield (IL) has a good one. I was appalled by the Griffith Park Zoo in L.A., and would not go there again. Same with the Bronx Zoo.

3. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

@damnitall and I went to the Cincinnati Zoo yesterday. We saw this. It's a decent zoo, but still quite small. The Columbus Zoo has more space in most enclosures, I believe, but doesn't have as many of the most endangered species or as developed a breeding program. We saw a gimpy little African penguin who would most definitely not be alive in the wild, but he had a buddy and encouragement to get around.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Zoos depress me. I understand them as educational tools, research sources, and being necessary to help endangered species procreate. That doesn't stop me from thinking that many of the animals are miserable in captivity.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I've been to the Oregon Zoo twice: once for a field trip, and once for a concert (Pink Martini, so very awesome). I love Washington/Forest Park, and the zoo is a part of that, but it's not a part I choose to visit frequently. Despite the size of the park around it, the zoo is small and feels cramped to me. I don't like it.

The Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle is about 30 acres larger, and it seems to make a considerable difference in how I feel about the whole experience. The savannah exhibit at Woodland Park is amazing. There is a giant rock overlooking the exhibit that is a memorial to Jimi Hendrix. It's pretty cool.

We went to the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago because it was free, but I liked the adjacent conservatory better. The cat house was depressing as hell.

I went to the Toronto Zoo nearly two years ago (gasp), and that was awesome! It's huge! I didn't feel bad for any of the animals.

6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I've seen this argument before, but it doesn't wash. I mean, life in the wild is no picnic. Either you're a predator and spending most of your time looking for stuff to eat, or you're prey and spend most of your time trying not to get eaten. Either way, your time on this Earth is likely to be brutal, stressful, and short. Critters in the wild don't often die of old age. Life in a modern, well-kept zoo, in contrast, involves all of your food being delivered to you, medical care and attention as required and staff dedicated to making sure your life is as happy and fulfilling as they can possibly make it. It's not like the Victorian-era menageries that treated animals as items to be collected. Modern zoos put a lot of time and effort into making sure the animals are happy and well looked after.

Even if some animals aren't completely happy in captivity, I have a hard time believing they'd be happier living in the wilderness. Would you?

7. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've been to San Diego, St. Louis Zoo, Lincoln Park, and a couple of others, but I'm just over-awed by the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, which Trip Advisor rates as #1 on its list of the top 25 USA zoos.

It's less than a mile off I-80 if you're on a cross country road trip.

My mentor from Boston, who came to Omaha for the Berkshire-Hathaway Shareholders funfest earlier this month was totally wowed, and he is not easily impressed.

Sig and I have been there three times. Still haven't really seen it all. They keep adding stuff.

Best Zoos - the United States - TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards

Of course, it doesn't show up on most folks radar screens because, well, it's in Omaha.:(

It has both the world's largest indoor rain forrest (the Lied Jungle) and the world's largest indoor desert dome. And a very friendly and knowledgeable staff. It's wonderful to go in the winter and go from 10 degrees parking lot outside to a warm sunny desert in the space of about fifty yards.

We think of zoos as having big animals, but especially awesome is Doorly's Butterfly and Insect Pavilion. Delicate butterflies flying free and huge spiders and roaches.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK0nuLddzS8#t=50

And like @Martian says, it's a social welfare state for the animals.:)

It's on the list to go again this summer.:cool:

8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

While I certainly agree with you regarding life in the wild being rough....would you be happy living in captivity, kept from doing the things that are part of your nature? Certainly some animals are quite happy living in zoos. Equally certain some animals would rather be following their animal instincts in the wild. I also don't think that all zoos qualify as "modern, well-kept."

"...making sure your life is as happy and fulfilling as they can possibly make it." In forced captivity.

9. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

10. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I am actually in agreement that they can be horribly depressing places. I recognize a lot of behavioral problems in zoos, resulting largely from the confinement. Yes, they have longer and healthier lives *physically*, but emotionally many of those animals have severe anxiety and behavioral changes from long-term confinement. I imagine it's easier for those who are bred and brought up in captivity. One of my horses had awful anxiety from being in restricted space, and it was depressing to watch him freak out because he couldn't roam. I feel the same for many of those animals.

• Like Like x 1
  11. redux

redux Very Tilted

I've been a FONZ (Friends of National Zoo) for years. I missed ZooFari (annual fundraiser) and all the good eats last week, but Brew at the Zoo (drink beer, save wildlife) is coming up!

My first apartment in DC was across the street from the entrance to the zoo and I would go jogging through the grounds at sunrise and hear all kinds of eerie animal sounds.