1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NextDoor

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by redux, Jul 8, 2013.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

-+-{Important TFP Staff Message}-+-
    You're asking a very specific question and aren't shilling. Consider this the OK.

I don't know anything about this, but it does look intriguing. I'd like to hear more.

3. redux

redux Very Tilted

The craze for apps is making me crazy.

Our members (mayors, council members) want customized apps to communicate with residents (share info on city events, emergencies, forms, etc) and I'm supposed to make it happen with the right partner.

This might be a start, without an investment on our end and I like that! I havent seen anything else close to what I need. But I dont see a revenue stream and I dont like that!

Due diligence is the word of the day.

4. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I know our local council uses facebook (as well as traditional media - like the local newspaper) to keep residents informed. I know this requires users to "connect" to the council, but I would've thought it a lot simpler than creating a completely separate app *just* for the council.

5. redux

redux Very Tilted

Facebook can certainly serve as a means for city officials to build stronger social connections to residents but, after having spoken with their public policy staff on several occasions, it is not among Facebook priorities.

What I find intriguing about NextDoor is the focus on building private neighborhood connections and from that, up to the next level of community based networking. These guys appear to understand the possibilities of such a targeted service. The app is just a bonus.

But I'll put my anti-Facebook bias aside later this week.