1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Saving and investing money without the stock market or 'gold'

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, May 6, 2012.

1. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Luckily, I got out of CHK a few years ago. I had no idea of the shenanigans going on there.

But, my company beat Wall Street expectations by .01 cent, and is still raking in profits. But, some Credit Swiss guy downgraded us to hold from buy (probably because of the lack of growth potential), and it caused a massive sell-off. But, it's not like we aren't going to make a big profit next quarter too.

2. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I know a guy who knows how to hit 10% yields on munis every time ;).

I'm pretty sure I'd be a horrible investor in stocks. The market is too irrational. Plus, fuck shareholder profits. The shareholder-first model drives idiocy and shortsightedness in corporate boardrooms across the world.

But what do I know? I'm in for 60k in unescapable loans from the federal government at 8%. Maybe if I hit my payments on time for ten years they'll be forgiven.

If I had money to invest, I'd invest with my conscience, which is a shitty way to plan for retirement.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I hear you, brother.

Au contraire. It may take a little while longer to meet your goals, or you may need to have more modest ones, but there is a growing trend to accommodate bleeding-heart liberals such as ourselves.

As of 2010, nearly one of every eight dollars under professional management in the US is involved in socially responsible investing—% of the $25.2 trillion in total assets under management tracked by Thomson Reuters Nelson.​

Socially responsible investing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I am starting to understand why the Occupy people are protesting...

Ousted Yahoo CEO Scott Thompson will get no severance - May. 14, 2012

Seriously, $333,000 salary for working at an established company for 5 months... Plus, the 7 million in stock already? But, at least he won't get a severance for lying to get the cushy job.

Then you have this:
    49% of Americans aren't saving for retirement - May. 10, 2012
    49% aren't saving anything? And ~56% have less than $25,000 saved for retirement.
    Many have little savings as retirement looms – USATODAY.com

And not to get political, but this is what is wrong with the economy.
    Dade Behring | Romney Economics | Mitt Romney's private sector record
    How is a small part-time investor supposed to know if the big fish in the game are pumping and dumping companies? Hell, I don't blame the management of the companies for wanting to get bought out or acquired. Less work, possibly early retirement, or lots of money. But, it is screwing up the economy with less competition and roller coaster stock prices. Tax base for cities and local economies gos down, home prices drop when lots of people can't pay the mortgage, and unemployment costs. Let alone if you actually work for one of these companies and are expecting a steady paycheck, pension, or health insurance.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Don't forget this:

The share of students taking out loans to attend public college has increased from 42% in 1992 to 93% in 2008. Thirty years ago, one in 100 students at nonprofit private colleges took on more than $50,000 in debt. Today, it's one in seven.​

[...]​

More than 50% of 21-year-olds in America today have dropped out of the college-graduation track, either by not finishing high school or by not going on to college.​

The Student Debt Crisis We Don't Talk About - Derek Thompson - Business - The Atlantic

And this:

In real terms, college costs are up by 23% since 2000. But real pay for young college grads is down 11% over the same period.​

Earnings of Young College Grads vs College Costs - BusinessWeek

And this:

The issue at hand: Interest rates are set to double on July 1, from 3.4 percent to 6.8 percent, on a popular federal loan for low- and middle-income undergraduates.​

Student Debt: Obama To Call On Congress To Prevent Student Loan Interest Rates From Doubling

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

ASU2003 seems to be doing the standard angry prole rant thing here.

I guess we should all be glad that he isn't busting it out in CAPSLOCK.

So, basically, having Uncle Sugar pay for my degree makes me rich?

While it solves the -1 to 0 problem, it doesn't solve my 0 to +1 issue.

As a moron, why can't I just buy the stocks I want and sit on them?

My tiny raisin brain thinks Coca-Cola is going to be here a long time.

Maxing out my Roth and picking up the Old Faithfuls seems sound.

Does growing wealth have to be super complicated and mega tense?

7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Exactly.

But to be fair, the stock the family has in Eastman Kodak and my Viacom options? Yeah I can wipe my ass with them and get more value from them.

8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The stock market isn't setup to allow you to make a lot of money in 'safe' established companies. I bought Intel in 2003 or 2004 when I first started investing, thinking that this is a big stable company that sells a lot, makes profits, and makes a good product.
    Intel Corporation Stock Chart | INTC Interactive Chart - Yahoo! Finance
    If you look at the chart, they don't get rewarded for that. Pretty much the same thing with Coke. You might not 'lose' money, but it won't do much to keep up with inflation, if there isn't a dividend.

The stock market only rewards the possibility of future growth. If you sold 10k this month and made a profit, but have something new that will sell 100k next month, the stock will go up. Until you only sell 90k, and then it goes down. Well, unless you have millions to play with and can buy large amounts of stock to move the price, and ride the wave up. Then sell before the gig is up.

Dividend producing stocks are one way to invest, but I am running into that problem with another company I'm invested in. I still am getting cash each month from profits, but my initial investment is down 30% when it went from 19 to 13 in 2 weeks.

As for the college/student loan thing, yes, the future of the economy looks pretty shaky in 10 years. When interest rates go up, and lots of graduates still can't find a job, will the job they do find be able to cover the bill? Will they be able to save for a house, car, 401k, wedding, or will they be debt slaves until they are in their 40s?

9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

My ex husband was a practicing alcoholic. I helped myself tremendously by going to meetings of Alanon. AA/Alanon seems faintly quaint and old fashioned. And they talk a lot about God. But they opened my mind to a lot of acceptance about myself. One of the Promises of the AA/Alanon Program is "We will not regret the past, nor wish to close the door on it." I am very open about the slut that I was back then. I'm not that way now. If anyone wants to judge me now (like a few folks in my little home town in Kansas) based on my behavior then... well, that's their problem, not mine.

and in my life now, a very selective lover...
    I was quite the tom-boy as a girl. I worked on a farm and at my family's hardware store. My first paying job (at age 14, before the sex and the tits that
    Plan9 thinks I talk about too much) was at a gun club setting clay targets on a machine that threw them out so they could be shot at. It was hot, filthy, and somewhat dangerous work. Computers are like duck soup, in comparison.
    I actually have very little understanding of how computers and software do what they do. That's why I use Macs.:) But as far as physically upgrading things like drives and memory, with the help of sites like this Mac Mini (2009) Memory Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com I'm willing to give it a try. That Mac Mini is not an easy thing.:( But after an hour of careful work, I have 4meg memory and 256gig solid state drive.
    The market itself is not irrational. It reflects the irrational acts of the persons and corporate entities that use the market. And you should always invest for performance (whether growth or income.) Investing with a conscience is like playing seven card stud with a pinochle deck. If you are compelled to feel guilt for investing to make money, salve your conscience in other ways. There are plenty of them.

Those of us who invest take a considerable risk. Part of our return should be considered a reward for assuming that risk. After all, we can, and sometimes do, lose our investment. We should not feel guilty or apologetic when things work out well. There is certainly no guarantee of safety or returns.

Lindy

• Like Like x 2
  10. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Hah. I've read about Romney's tactics a couple months ago and thouht: "He's make a great Republican president."

Here's where I read it: Conscious Capitalism Lies in Conscience - Cohesian

11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

hmm...does this mean we need to start actually having integrity again??? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I don't disagree. People are irrational. With the advent of HFT, we see more of that irrationality coming into the system triggered by computer rules put into place by irrational people add a cascading effect of rules upon rules, it seems like it is even more irrational.

Yes, all of my investments are based on the fact that I'm going to potentially be a pauper at some point in time.

13. Bodkin van Horn

The market is arational. It's an emergent process that's totally the byproduct or people who are acting, on some level, irrational. But like I said, I'd be a shitty stock investor because I'd invest with my conscience in mind, rather than my retirement because I think it's shortsighted to encourage the growth of companies that are actively undermining healthy communities and working to further erode the political power of the average person, regardless of the promised return.

Risks frequently come with rewards, it's true. But I have a hard time feeling like I've earned something if luck played a huge role in the process. For example, it takes a certain amount of work putting quarters in a slot machine six times a minute for several hours. Given a jackpot, there's a pretty clear causal progression from effort to compensation. However, I think that claiming that the jackpot was earned kind of deflates the meaning of the word. To me, the stock market is essentially an incredibly complex slot machine.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that perhaps we approach the issue from different directions.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Why does it appear like I could take you to a nice mellow bar/lounge and talk about life, God and the universe with you for hours on end.

Possibly just another wrong impression of mine because of this silly text-based communication.

I like when people are open of their thoughts and opinions. :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I don't get arational. Arational is for something that doesn't even involve reasoning. Like breathing. Breathing is arational. Holding your breath underwater is rational. Trying to breathe underwater is irrational.
    I would agree that those who win at slots don't really "earn" that money. But for investing, your slot machine analogy is incredibly off base.

Warren Buffett didn't become a multi-billionaire by mindlessly pulling the crank on a slot machine until he got lucky.

Luck plays a very minor role in successful investing.

A better analogy for the stock market would be playing poker or bridge. Yes, there is a component of luck. Yes, a lucky hand can win a big pot. BUT the people that win regularly at bridge or poker, over a long period of years, do so by knowing the percentages, the odds, and also recognizing the propensities of the others at the table. Balancing off potential reward vs. known and potential risk (informed risk-taking) is essential. Pulling the slot crank and buying lottery tickets in the "hope" of winning is just mindless risk-taking.

Like the old song, "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run." That essential knowledge is not luck. Long term successful investing, like winning at poker, involves skill (and dull boring detail work) to a much greater degree than luck.

Lindy
    "... recognizing the propensities of the others at the table."
    When others are greedy, be fearful. When others are fearful, be greedy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bodkin van Horn

"The market" is really just a catch-all term for the collective results of millions of decisions by individuals. While those decisions can be rational and irrational, the market can't, because the market doesn't think. A flock of seagulls isn't rational, but the seagulls are.

I see what you're saying. However, the difference between slot machines and poker is more a matter of degree of perceived control than justness of compensation. Winning at cards takes skill, sure. I don't know that having the right set of cards in your hand when it's time to call is the same as earning money. There certainly isn't a lot of value added to society by the exchange of cash in games of chance like poker or the slots. There isn't any sort of service or product being produced. Money spends the same regardless of whether it's being spent by Jim the poker chump or Joe the poker champ.

At least investment can help drive the economy, which is nice. I'm still not ready to agree that one can "earn" money by giving it to other people to do actual work and then taking a cut of the proceeds.

And while it may seem like luck plays a minor role in "successful" investing, I find it just as plausible that those who are successful are more apt to attribute their success to cunning and perspicacity (rather than luck) than people who aren't successful regardless of any actual considerations of cunning and perspicacity. Everybody likes to think that they're successful because they're special, but as Plan9 would tell you, nobody is special.

17. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

That is the way it should be. But when you have millions of small investors, and then a handful of big players and financial firms that control the money of a lot more, the small investors don't stand much of a chance to know what will happen. My 100-400 shares of a company mean nothing when there are millions of shares outstanding or a big firm dumps lots of shares because the computer program said to.

18. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

It's easy to identify the areas of the market where the small investor is at a competitive disadvantage.
    It's harder, but far more rewarding, to start identifying where you actually have an advantage and can use that to your benefit.
    I'll give one example to start: Who has more possible ways to invest in individual stocks: You as the small fry home gamer investing $10,000 at a clip, or the portfolio manager at Fidelity who has to put $100 million in a position to even make it show up on the scorecard?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Are you going to fast forward to the part where you post instructions on how to defeat tear gas used by those overzealous law enforcement thugs and the proper way to toss a Molotov cocktail at a Subway restaurant while wearing a Guy Fawkes mask or what? ASU2003, you're clearly a smart dude. Much smarter than me. As such, it should be a warning sign when you start posting stuff that even I find blatantly obvious. Where is this going?

Last edited: May 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

If I ever go to one of these protests, I will bring my gas mask. I'm sure the cops will love it. I also have ear plugs, body armor, and the means to defeat whatever method the police come up with. Anyways, that isn't how you fight the system, they wouldn't like it if I were to show people how to fight the system. It's just that the people are too stupid to actually do it.

Anyways, I still want to find out how to invest, or do you just structure your life to not need money? That is what is doing the best for me right now. Well, Vegas is my best performing investment. I am up $1,000 there. My bank account at 0.5% interest is my biggest holding now, and I make a few hundred there a year. I lost $4,200 in one stock this year, and I'm dollar cost averaging into another one at basically 0% over the last 8 years into my company. I lose $3,000 a year in property taxes, $800 to the Home Owners Association, $800 in home insurance, $1,000 in medical/dental insurance (which is probably cheap), $400 in water/sewer bills, $400 in electricity, $300 in gas service, and 25% in taxes. I could go into more detail. My 401k has done nothing over the last 8 years, and seriously I think the economy will be stable and slowing down over the next 20 years. So what is the point in making money and being a workaholic if your profit margin is 0%. I 'could' get loans and buy nice cars and live it up like millions of other people...

It doesn't matter which political party wins, the other will sabotage it. The baby boomers are slowing down and a lot of the economy is getting shipped to the cheapest labor where ever that is.

The only way I can see really being successful at this point is to start a on-line/distributor business. You can make your own hours, sell a product, and can adjust the price with inflation to a point. Well, there is getting an MBA and going to the dark side of upper management, but I'm not doing that.