1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Tilted Foodies... I need you to kill Larry.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Plan9, Aug 12, 2011.

1. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I'm convinced that some people are just doomed to constant, gnawing hunger. I weigh less than you and I'm constantly stuffing my gob.

Once upon a time I thought it was due to medications I took. Then I got healthier with different medications, and I realised that no, it's just me.

I have no useful advice. If you figure it out let me know.

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Toss in dried fuits and nuts. Cranberries or raisins with your peanut butter may help. And bananas if you can get them.
    I know it's not the healthiest there, but man, you totally gotta eat better.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Jesus... I wasn't eating that poorly. Aside from the lack of fat calories, I'd say it was pretty good.

4. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

me sits and learns

5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

UPDATE:

I've been eating more fat. 2% milk, nuts, peanut butter, more meat, etc. I'm less hungry but the side effect has been awesome diarrhea like 3 times a day, which is especially inconvenient when you're in the middle of your 3rd set of deadlifts. Diet changes are a bitch. We'll see if adding fat to my diet has any effect on my ability to gain muscle mass. I'm slamming protein supplements twice a day (38g a piece) and slinging iron on a good-form-low-reps-heavier-weight routine. We'll see how it all works out. I'd love to come home weighing like 170 and not look like such a twig.

6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

You could have lactose issues...

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I drink a gallon of milk in two days at home. Not likely.

8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Then perhaps Larry is trying not to be ejected. Unless you've started eating something that you have a sensitivity to, I wouldn't think it would be related.

9. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

You have been on such a low fat diet that your body is having difficulty processing the extra fat you are now consuming. Its just pushing it straight through.
    If you are looking to gain mass, you need to eat more. 2K calories a day will be just barely enough to maintain your weight. Your body is burning up everything as fast as you put it in. Nothing left over to increase size.
    The route you are going is for lean and cut. If ya want mass, ya gotta eat.

10. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

It could be the protein supplements. They tend to give people gas.

Try psyllium husks or generic fiber supplement, perhaps? Or some probiotic if you can get it.. might calm down your GI tract while it adjusts.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I probably forget to mention the fact that I've been taking these gnarly MET-Rx protein supplements for over a year (entire time I've been at work, they're free) and I've been putting down like 2700 calories a day. I had less fat than I needed (according to this thread), but I'm definitely eating a lot of healthy food. I can see my abs. Aside from the hour I'm in the gym, I typically sit in a swivel chair and fight Excel and Outlook (12 hours+). Granted, some days are more active than others and the temperature and stress flux aren't those of your usual office business casual environment.

Could just be a stomach bug. The few toilets at work are plastic buckets that get "flushed" once every 24 hours. It's super gross.

12. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Protein supplements are not going to give you mass with the calories you are eating. In fact, you might be taking too much based on what you posted originally.

I am 6' and weigh 235. My minimum caloric intake to maintain my weight is around 22-2300 calories per day for my age (48). You are much younger than me and obviously have a high basal metabolic rate (based solely on your stated weight and activity level). If you can see your abs, then your body fat percentage is in the single digits. Your diet is a good one and its great for someone looking to maintain their weight. If you want to put on mass, you have to eat more and stick to the heavy weight/low rep work outs.

13. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm revisiting this because I recently recalculated my own calorie intake, as I'm starting to throw some iron around again (finally!). I've been sedentary with the exception of a daily walk for months now. (I work from home.)

Plan9, I have a similar stature and metabolism as you, though I think mine has slowed a bit now that I hit mid-30s. Once I start lifting weights again, I suspect it will only skyrocket as usual. Anyway, I figure I'll need to get at least 3,500 to 3,800 calories a day if I hope to gain muscle on my routine. In the past, I've gone over 4,000, but I'm not sure I'll need that this time. We'll see.

Anyway, I thought I'd let you know how it is with a fellow tapewormer. (I still frighten small children at buffets.)

15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

My friend that needed to add calories after her jaw was broken and wired shut (on purpose) added coconut oil and avocado puree and oil to everything to boost calorie intake. She's a vegetarian but still eats some seafood and dairy... no eggs, the smell grosses her out. She learned how to add healthy fats to everything because she's a half-marathoner and triathelete sometimes, too. It worked pretty well to maintain some weight for her.

16. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

Protein is pointless if you aren't giving your body the other things it needs. Just because you take protein doesn't mean you mass up. If you want to mass up with more protein you'll need 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight. Peanut butter and tuna will help, but I don't see any reason to take that much protein if you aren't needing it for muscle development (i.e. doing drop sets or super sets). If you are still hittin' the gym hard and heavy consider taking casein protein at night right before bed and take some whey before breakfast. That will help out a little, and you seem to be on the right track, it's just finding the right balance for your body and they type of work/training/playing you do.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'll assume you're addressing the OP:

I'm well aware that taking a bucket of protein doesn't mean I'm going to Incredible Hulk out of my size schmedium T-shirt anytime soon. I've been choking this stuff down for a year straight now, probably more than most people do given the fad treatment of personal fitness in the US. Still haven't been able to tear clothing by flexing yet. Turns out you get a lot more out of working out and eating normal meals than you do taking any supplement. That whole tedious effort thing. So, yeah, part of the reason why I take the protein supplement twice a day is because it helps me feel full (enter the OP). The other part is that it is loaded with vitamins and minerals (since I don't typically bring a treasure chest of Centrum with me when I travel). Another small reason is that it is totally free... and friggin' delicious. Since I have almost no taste buds, it works out pretty well.

I don't have the option to buy or eat specific food items or supplements because my only options are what is provided to me in a Styrofoam box. Consider my situation a really long camping trip. Thanks to the shocked commentary here, my fat intake has been increased by eating more raw nuts and peanut butter out of those single serving cups, as well as putting back more meat at the slop-house. I'm still pretty hungry all the time. Maybe that's just the total lack of alcohol in my life. I eat a lot less when I'm able to supplement my meals with a daily slug of Jack Daniel's.

Got a friend that is a nutritionist / personal trainer... I'll have to buy them a case of Michelob Ultra (LOL!) and get them to do analyze my intake.