1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food When was the last time you cooked for yourself?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Taliesin, Aug 24, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The thermometer is really essential.

I usually do mine on the grill. I cook the steak with indirect heat, bring it up to the desired internal temperature, then plop it on the hot side of the grill.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Especially for the oven portion. I cook/grill steak a lot, and especially with a thicker cut I am very consistent with pulling it off the heat at the proper time when grilling or frying in a pan. But when it is in the oven baking, it is very hard to judge the proper temp to yank it without actually measuring the temp. And IME, once it gets over about 80-85* it really starts rising fast, so you have to keep a close eye on it. That's why I like my smoker thermometer, so I get a constant read on it.

3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I try to avoid using the oven during the hot part of summer. I wonder if putting the steak in a ziplock and then immersing it in a 100° water bath would work. Sous vide style. The steak can't overcook because it can't get any warmer than the water temp, right? And easier to measure the water temp than the inside of the steak. It should warm faster as well, because water conducts/transfers heat so much better than air. Then remove from water and ziplock, pat dry if necessary, season and sear on grill or in pan. Or season before warming.
    Would lose the drying effect of the oven, though.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Though I don't have one, you can definitely do it sous vide style.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

6. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Everyone here knows I like cooking my meals and enjoy food prep. Today the kitchen produced a great steak dinner, SW Chili, brisket in oven now with liquid smoke, and boiling a chicken down for future use in mushroom casserole, stock and lunches. 20170806_190136.jpg

• Like Like x 2